Thursday, July 30, 2015

Demon Lung A Dracula Interview

Demon Lung
A Dracula
Candlelight Records
Interview with Shanda Frederick by hutch

Shanda Fredrick - vocals
Phil Burns - guitar
Brent Lynch - guitar
Jason Lamb - bass
Jeremy Brenton - drums

Produced by Billy Anderson
“It was one hundred percent intentional to go much heavier this time,” Shanda Frederick replies to my question, asking the obvious. A Dracula is a low-tuned, full-sounding doom concept album. Demon Lung exhaled on hell of an album with The Hundredth Name in 2013. A Dracula is a masterful doom album released from a gestation of maturity and focus. “Our first album,” continues Frederick, “we didn’t know how to achieve that. “We were intense this time.”

The relationship spawned from producer, Billy Anderson, and the band sharpened the intent and attention of all involved. Anderson’s steeped experience was a guiding light. “This time during writing process, I talked to Billy. We have a friendly relationship. He knew what we wanted to achieve. He was aware of us emotionally. He gave us this epic sound.”

The sound is epic. Thick, sludgy riffs steeped in horrific atmosphere are the product of all elements syncing during four months of writing. Frederick reports while writing, hanging appropriate paintings and playing old horror films in the background. Of course, Demon Lung also used great metal narratives to guide their mentality. “We listened to other bands to set the mood.  King Diamond. The way he will stretch a whole story for an album is inspiring. Iron Maiden. They do a lot of concept songs about history.”
The direct inspiration for A Dracula is Alucarda by Mexican horror director, Juan Lopez Moctezuma, in 1977. Frederick explains the process. “We come up with a story. We discuss scenes and emotions. Then they start writing riffs. They record video their hands writing the riffs. We compile themes, what lyrics fit with what song. The film was a starting point but we adapted the story from fit to our ‘end of the world’ agenda and changed some characters.”

Shanda Frederick examines another inspiration as we discuss the harder sound and her vocals approach. “Candlemass. I use them vocally. I like their approach. I get the comment that I sound like a man.” That comment does not insult or bother her. “I prefer that. It feels natural.” Frederick grew up with her dad. Her father’s friends, older men, represented the bulk of her human interaction. She worked at her dad’s office, a construction business, where she dealt with even more men. She elaborates, “My first band had a forty year old guitarist. I am comfortable around older men. There is no sexual pressure. They can see me as an individual.”

Female fronted bands, especially in doom metal and psych or stoner rock, are common now. There becomes a thin line of being respected and being an object of desire. For the female, it can be a double-edged sword. “The situation can be a hard time for fans, not relating to a female perspective. I convey deep emotions. I definitely struggle with double-edged sword. I want not to be treated as one of the guys, but receive the same level of respect.”

Frederick notes that her band and her audience are thankfully constructed of different types, though. Well, and she consciously does not portray the sex object. “I am fortunate with my guys. I don’t put out that sexual vibe. So, I don’t reap that attitude. I wear long dresses. I cover my boobs. I am feminine, not sexual. People treat me delicately.” That has its downside as well, back to the double-edged sword. “People assume I can sing, like my skills aren’t valued. They think, ‘you are a woman, of course you can sing. They say it as if I didn’t work hard to achieve this talent. But, that is how it is in the world today.”

Frederick relays the opposite impression. She notes that she always could sing. Her mother pushed her with musical theatre and chorus. After multiple karaoke sessions in her late teens, her friends pushed her to sing. “I was horrible live. It took a year and a half to be comfortable in front of people. I was twenty-one. It was a hard process.” That fortitude is ingrained in her constitution, though. “I just go out and do something until I can do it. I am not afraid of failing. Everything is a learning process.”

That process of working through an endeavor and accepting that time is needed to hone the product is portrayed in this album. A Dracula is a sculpted script. Each track, expertly improved and molded by Billy Anderson and the band, represents a plot point in the arc of Alucarda and her love, Justine. They triumph and are resurrected to reign in Hell and demolish the Earth’s inhabitants. A dark, frightening atmosphere champions this cinematic album. Prepare for the wrath.



No comments:

Post a Comment